Well it’s been almost three months now since I first blogged about the CBC’s online search for a new anthem for their popular “Hockey Night in Canada” broadcast on Saturday nights.
Now that TSN have secured the rights for the much loved anthem of old, Canadians have been voting on hundreds of good, bad and ugly anthems developed by lovers of NHL from all over the country.
This weekend marks the start of final voting for the 5 finalists selected as having the best potential jingles from the masses submitted. Here’s the final selection:
- “Ice Warriors” by Gerry Mosby of Toronto, ON.
- “Sticks to the Ice” by Robert Fraser Burke of Toronto, ON.
- “Eleventh Hour” by Graham McRae of Burnaby, BC.
- “Let the Game Begin” by Christian St. Roch & Jimmy Tanaka of Chateauguay & Verdun, QC.
- “Canadian Gold” by Colin Oberst of Beaumont, AB.
For me, there were others I thought far more worthy of making it this far in the competition, but if I have to pick out of this crop, it would be the Celtic flavoured “Canadian Gold” by Colin Oberst, closely followed by Ice Warriors by Gerry Mosby.
What do you think though? I’d love to hear your comments below, and by all means throw down your vote on my mock-poll on the left and remember to register and vote for you favourite on the CBC website.
Remember, this could be your anthem for decades to come – almost makes this more important than that “ho-hum” political vote coming up in a week or so…